Vend is an award-winning, venture-backed tech company and our mission is simple: to create remarkable retail life. We help our retailers build thriving businesses, live more fulfilling lives and create experiences that people love. And as we do, we encourage the diversity that makes communities unique.
We have over 200 talented people across Auckland, Toronto, London, Melbourne and San Francisco working to delight approximately 20,000 awesome retailers worldwide who are running successful retail operations in their communities and online.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
We’re on the hunt for a Senior Front End Engineer. This role requires someone to work 40 hours over a week, but for the right candidate we're happy to explore flexible working hours - many of us have families and know that balancing kids with work is important.
We’re not an ordinary company, so we don’t expect you to be either. If you love learning new stuff, enjoy digging into hard work and making the impossible happen - keep on reading!
Why does this job exist?
Reporting to a Lead Engineer, this role requires someone to build epic stuff! From coding, code reviews and fixing bugs (i.e. tackling the hard debugging) to peer programming, incident response, and reverse-engineering tasks so we can rapidly and efficiently build solutions to our retailers' problems, focussing on iteration, experimentation, and stability.
What will I be doing in a typical week?
- Planning/architecture. This means estimating, collaborating with Product, establishing MVP
- Learning and Teaching. This means things like nerd lunches, chapter reviews, research and meetups, helping new hires and more junior engineers to ""level up"" and become more proficient over time, etc
- Building epic things! This means coding, code reviews, fixing bugs (i.e. tackling the hard debugging), peer programming, incident response, and reverse-engineering tasks, etc.
- Enabling. This means things like working on shared libraries, contributing to open source content, defining, documenting, and evolving best practices for development in their team's area of focus, etc.
- Plus contributing as part of the wider team to achieve organisational objectives even if this means doing things that aren’t strictly within the scope of your role!
Does this sound like you?
- Experience with Vendgineering stack and preferred tools / styles
- Industry experience
- Significant experience in coding major systems in one or more languages
- Relevant degree helpful but not required