You possess strong software engineering and Java development fundamentals. You value delivering products that delight and are unafraid to dig into unknown codebases to unravel unexpected behaviors. You value reliability, testability, and maintainability. Despite our success, we are still a startup that puts a lot of value in getting things done and making the right compromises to achieve that goal.
About the Position
The job of a Backend Java engineer at Urban Airship is simple: distributed system design and support. We provide low latency services that process a stream of events from both apps and internal services. Our backend infrastructure is built on the Google Cloud Platform. There will certainly be schema design, ownership of data semantics, and a lot of squinting at server metrics trying to puzzle out why database write latency spiked in the 99th percentile and moved the emphasis in “near-real-time” from “real” to “near.”
Experience and Skills
- Experience that aligns with UA’s description of a Senior Level Software Engineer: Click Here
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices: unit testing, code reviews, documentation, and version control.
- Willingness to work as part of a team to achieve shared commitments
- Experience with distributed systems
- Calmly work in a fast-paced environment to ensure continuous delivery
- Provide mentorship and guidance for less experienced engineers
Bonus points for…
- Solid fundamentals with Linux
- Experience with the Google Cloud Platform
- Practiced Git workflows
- Experience with distributed NoSQL systems or key-value stores
- Know how to troubleshoot and fine tune JVM performance
Urban Airship is trusted by thousands of businesses looking to grow with mobile. Every day, marketers and developers depend on Urban Airship to deliver more than one billion mobile moments that inspire interest and drive action. Urban Airship’s mobile growth platform is used by many of the world’s most admired companies, including Adidas, Alaska Airlines, The Home Depot, NBC Universal, Sky Media, and Zillow.