Updater’s FinTech Division is the newest addition to and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Updater. Built to rethink how insurance companies communicate with their policyholders before, during, and after a move, the division builds products that help consumers transfer insurance policies during a stressful move, in just a few clicks. Imagine if you had that the last time you moved?!
The division will also pursue other FinTech opportunities to help streamline the moving process for our users.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you’ll join the core engineering team in our FinTech Division and will be instrumental in designing and building our back-end processing systems, including setting the technology direction for those systems, in collaboration with the team. We are looking for someone that is passionate about building simple and highly maintainable solutions for complex problems.
Our backend systems utilize a variety of storage technologies, both SQL and NoSQL, and expose APIs via AWS Lambda, using Node.js and Java. We also utilize Apache Beam for streaming data processing, deployed on Amazon EMR. The backend systems support our web UI and also implement a variety of integrations with our business partners. We have no legacy systems (!) -- so we can use the best, latest technology to build solutions without being constrained by prior design choices or old technology.
While Updater’s headquarters are based in New York City, the Insurance Division is based in Charlottesville, Virginia, in a great area right between ACAC and Three Notch’d Brewery.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design and build data-processing pipelines, data warehouses, APIs, and B2B integrations with the FinTech division’s business partners
- Engage in architecture and infrastructure decisions for the product(s) you own
- Take responsibility for planning and execution of business-critical products
What you have:
- 4+ years of backend engineering experience, ideally building products from ideation to launch on a strong engineering team.
- Experience developing for the Hadoop ecosystem, ideally including a streaming platform such as Beam, Spark Streaming, Storm, or Flink
- Experience with API development and deployment in a cloud platform such as AWS
- Proficient with a variety of data stores, including SQL and NoSQL (graph database experience a plus!)
- Strong domain knowledge. You’re intellectually curious and understand the pros and cons of different tools and technologies.
- A pragmatic approach to engineering. You have opinions about engineering processes, architecture, infrastructure, and tools, but understand there are often multiple valid ways to solve a problem.
Compensation & Benefits:
We're looking for top-tier talent, and we offer compensation packages that include competitive base salary & stock options. Our comprehensive benefits programs include health care, dental, and flexible Paid Time Off (PTO).
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater’s FinTech Division is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.