TripAdvisor Experiences and Rentals is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer with experience in working with high volume transactional websites to join our Site Operations team. This role operates in a fast moving Agile/DevOps environment with a product and platforms that are growing and changing rapidly.
You will be a critical team member in delivering the infrastructure and platforms with open source and cloud based technologies. You will be experienced in bootstrapping infrastructure from scratch using AWS Cloudformation - creating performant, autoscaling and self-healing systems.
The ideal candidate will have solid background in Linux server administration, networking, DNS; combined with being an automator by nature and be comfortable with scripting languages like Bash & Python.
We are a 6-person team based in Sydney, backed by a global ops team dedicated to WebOps and DevOps within the wider Engineering Team. We deliver the TripAdvisor Experiences and Rentals production environment, the associated development environments and the release pipeline and release automation.
- Manage a ~700 server high volume transactional environment across both AWS and self-hosted Ganeti/KVM environments
- Work with Engineering teams to improve the operational readiness of product features. Be the gate keepers of production, raise awareness of potential risks to production stability.
- Become part of a weekly PagerDuty based On Call rotation with our other engineers, responding to the occasional major incident that needs your help to resolve.
- Passion for systems engineering and technology at scale
- Desire to learn about new platforms, technologies
- A love of travel is not required, but hey - why not?
- At least 4 years’ experience in a Systems Engineer role
- Strong Linux Systems Administration skills - RedHat, CentOS
- Application & Web server skills – Tomcat/Java, Apache\Nginx
- Experience with AWS
- Scripting, Coding and configuration management skills with the likes of Puppet, Bash, Python
- Strong verbal and written communication skill
- Ability to work in a complex environment and handle dependencies across multiple teams
- A strong work ethic, the ability to keep complex tasks organised, and an amazing attention to detail
Nice to Have
- Detailed knowledge of web application architecture and infrastructure
- Exposure to continuous delivery pipelines and their associated environments and including Bamboo/Jenkins, Bitbucket, Rundeck environments.
- Experience with AWS Cloudformation
- Experience with Load Balancers, HaProxy/Nginx.
- Postgres operational experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience