£Competitive salary DOE + Flexible Benefits, Bonus, Flexible Working Hours, 25 days' holiday + day off on birthday
Bring your energy to OVO
We’re looking for the most innovative people in tech to work for an energy company like no other. The Sunday Times recently put OVO in their top 20 list of the best companies to work for.
OVO’s been doing things differently since day one
We were the first energy supplier to let Pay As You Go customers top up on their phones. And the first to show people their electricity and gas usage in real time. We were even the first to release an Apple Watch app. We’ve been featured in Wired magazine for developing software that shatters the status quo.
We’re just getting started
We need your ideas, expertise and know-how so we can shake things up even more. The challenges never stop at OVO. Mainly because we’re always looking for the next one. Invent. Create. Innovate. Repeat. We believe in the power of technology. And we need the best people out there to spot problems – then solve them.
The goal is to develop, test, and release software that scales. Quickly and reliably. Our hand-picked team of software engineers are making a real impact. And you could be one of them.
What's it like to work at OVO?
You will be joining a highly skilled, cross-functional team of talented engineers, designers and product owners. You will work as an engineer, building and scaling a distributed system focusing on user value and business objectives. Our microservice platform is written in Scala, following functional programming principles and connected with event streams.
You will plan, design and build intelligent back-end solutions, bind these solutions to our front-end infrastructure and monitor, test and continuously improve your work. Your responsibilities will also include driving both product and technical improvements; encouraging debate and collaboration and communicating your ideas and successes to the wider team.
That sounds super exciting, but… Do I have what it takes?
- You are a back-end engineer with at least 4 years of hands-on experience in building distributed systems in a multi-language environment.
- Commercial experience with functional programming or a demonstrated desire to learn, projects on github are great.
- Experience with REST and asynchronous event driven programming.
- Experience with CI, and ideally CD
- Experience driving automation across build, test and release processes.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- Sunday Times' top 20 list of the best companies to work for
- The chance to join teams who are given total responsibility for designing, building, testing and running their applications
- The opportunity to get involved with conferences, meet-ups, hackathons, tech talks and teaching kids to code
- A clearly defined career path
- Open plan office in Notting Hill
- Free breakfast every day and lunch on Fridays
- Lots of social events
- Training budget
- Matched volunteering and matched fundraising