We are looking for an exceptional, results-oriented Principal Data Engineer that can help lead our data engineering team and develop our next generation data infrastructure in a fast-paced, agile environment. You will lead a group of talented data engineers and design, implement and manage our core data infrastructure. You will work closely with engineers, analysts and business partners to understand requirements and develop a world-class system that supports both our current and future needs. The ideal candidate will have a passion for building technology solutions that have massive business impact and can scale in the future.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and develop the Data Engineering team
- Partner closely with internal and external stakeholders including business analysts, business operations, technical operations, engineering, product management and other groups.
- Design, implement and manage the core data infrastructure used across the business
- Establish and drive strategic and tactical direction for the data warehouse and engineering team
- Lead the sprint planning process, manage the backlog and drive high-impact execution.
- Conduct design discussions, code reviews, and provide continuous feedback
- Drive vision and alignment internally and across external stakeholders
- Take a hands-on role in building and scaling Okta’s data infrastructure
Minimum REQUIRED Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or another quantitative field of study
- 10+ years as a Data or Software Engineer
- 5+ years in a Data Engineering leadership role
- 3+ years experience leading or managing a team
- Experience with the end-to-end process for data pipelines and analytics
- Experience building and scaling data warehouse systems and supporting infrastructure
- Experience working with and developing API endpoints
- Strong SQL skills
- Strong expertise working with relational and columnar databases
- Strong development experience in at least Python or Java
- Strong familiarity with agile methodologies and JIRA. Experience with sprint planning, story time, and backlog grooming
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to interact cross-functionally with technical and non-technical people.
- Experience presenting to and managing expectations with VPs and executive stakeholders
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with Snowflake, Redshift, Kinesis, Storm, ElasticSearch, Redis, Spark, AirFlow, Celery
- Familiar with Tableau, Looker, QlikView, Microstrategy, Domo, Power BI or other data visualization tools
- Experience working with and integrating data from sales, marketing and finance systems such as Salesforce, Marketo, Gainsight, Netsuite, Anaplan, Xactly, Google Analytics, etc.
- Web application development experience
- Experience with Machine Learning, Forecasting & Predictive Analytics and Data Science.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment tools and procedures
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.