Massdrop Engineering is a small, fast-moving team dedicated to fundamentally changing the way enthusiast communities buy and interact online. In order to scale our team with the growing company we’re looking for a web developer with strong technical skills, experience as a project lead, and some prior experience in a management role or, at minimum, aspirations to steer their career in a managerial direction.
Who You Are
As an Engineering Manager, you will be in a very important role on the team. The ideal candidate should be strong in a majority of the bullet points below:
- Have a history of strong technical ownership on past web development projects - were you the “go-to” person to get something built/investigated/fixed?
- Feel comfortable in lead position - history of leading large system or feature builds and enjoyed guiding your group to success
- Enjoy teaching and mentoring others
- Understand the value of team processes and are able to help others abide by them
- Are comfortable providing estimates, both rough and detailed
- Have experience with “Ops” work - able to resolve production breakages or emergencies while maintaining a level head
- Have strong written and verbal communication - especially when interacting with other disciplines or even externally
- Are team aware - you know things about your teammates others don’t (their typical schedule, technical strengths and weaknesses, professional likes/dislikes, etc...)
- Have a desire to start or continue your career in engineering management
Timeline for Success
On our team, we believe strong management and leadership are rooted in technical excellence. As such, you’ll spend the first portion of your Massdrop career getting familiar with our tech stack and contributing to the codebase before moving into a leadership position.
First 60 Days:
- Fix an array of bugs designed to give you a tour of our systems
- Complete small/medium size technical projects
Participate in our development roadmap, building systems and features for any of our top-level projects (Website, Messaging, Platform). Embrace and master team processes. Get familiar with your coworkers. Deepen expertise in our technology, demonstrate mastery and establish credibility within the team through your strong performance and contributions.
6 Months - 1 Year:
Move into a “pod lead” position. Lead a work group of 2-5 engineers (a pod), partnering with Product Management to build the necessary systems, features, and tools to take Massdrop into the future.
- Ensure pod is functioning and shipping code in a consistent and efficient way
- Strong understanding of a good portion of our codebase
- Be a source of answers and guidance for your pod members
- Provide updates on your pod’s progress in meetings
- Participate in troubleshooting Ops issues
- Participate in weekly planning to inform how work is executed
- Champion of (good) team processes, suggest improvements for inefficient ones
- Thorough understanding of how Eng interfaces w/ partner groups & their personnel
- Manage your pod members
- Bi-weekly 1-1s
- Detect and resolve non-technical issues
- Career coaching
- Complete 360 degree performance reviews, twice yearly
- Learn strengths and weaknesses of your pod members and leverage this to make tactical decisions about how to approach the work
- Typically managers are removed from roadmap assignments however they often still make technical contributions, such as things that improve developer efficiency, tools, or other odd jobs
Who We Are
Massdrop puts community first. We create high-quality, custom gear, apparel, and products inspired and designed by our online communities. We provide over 5 million members a place to connect, discuss, buy products together, and learn about the things that are important to them.
The engineering team contains of a number of seasoned developers who have scaled web apps beyond 10M daily active users. We have seen a lot of what doesn’t work in our past engineering teams and distilled the right practices and processes to ensure a healthy, sane, and efficient work environment. We’re all about quality engineering, not big egos; the best ideas win here.
If this sounds like the right environment for you to start or continue or Engineering Management career, then please submit an application. We’d love to talk with you!