Let’s talk shop: Lightspeed is on the lookout for a passionate full-time Data Engineer to join our Montreal-based Development team. The primary role for this position is to work on our cloud-based software, Lightspeed Retail.
Don’t mistake us for a typical corporation. We are not looking for just a team member, we’re searching for someone to enrich our family. We will let you write the code and bring your ideas. We will believe in you and give you creative freedom to allow you to do the best work of your life. Sounds familiar? Perfect! We’ve got what it takes to keep you feeling challenged and empowered.
Here’s a little song we wrote about you: You have worked on large projects and your background is in Java or in any other object-oriented language. You’re a natural-born problem-solver and always game to develop products that solve real-world problems for customers around the globe.
You enjoy learning things that you’ve never touched before. This is your chance to intimately collaborate with a small team, to take on big projects that greatly improve the product. We love critical thinkers who like to question why we do things this way and want to do better. Change agents are everywhere at Lightspeed, are you one of them? That comes with taking ownership of the code you write, coupled with strong architectural skills. If you want to do the best work of your life while being surrounded by talented colleagues, we think we should talk.
Now we get to brag about us: Lightspeed provides retailers and restaurateurs the simplest way to build, manage, and grow their business while crafting a better customer experience. Lightspeed empowers small business owners with a complete overview of their business in one place - more than 50,000 businesses processing over $15 billion in transactions annually use Lightspeed’s mobile Point of Sale software and newly acquired eCommerce platform to manage inventory, customer preferences, sales, and analytics to get a complete overview of their business in one place. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, and Europe, Lightspeed is backed by Accel Partners, iNovia Capital, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), and Investissement Québec (IQ). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Design, build and develop ETL pipelines consolidating various data sources (streaming or batch) into application specific Data Warehouses
- Design, build and develop Analytical and Business Intelligence solutions
- Prototyping and developing solutions using statistical methods; Data Mining, Machine learning, AI, etc.
- Work as part of a team to deliver product features and functionality
- Translate requirements into conceptual and detailed designs with estimates
- Develop clean, maintainable code in a continuous integration + continuous deployment environment
- Assist QA and Support staff in troubleshooting software issues as well as implementing bug fixes
- 3+ years experience developing reliable, highly available and scalable software
- BS/BA in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Good knowledge of Java and Python
- Experience writing automated unit and functional tests
- Experience with relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Proven skills in server side resource profiling, optimization and debugging
- Strong interest in Data Mining, Machine learning, statistical methods, AI, etc.
- Basic proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with Git/Github
- MSc in Computer Science, Statistics or related fields
- Research or work experience in AI, automation and/or Data Engineering
- Good understanding of Design Patterns
- Experience in a continuous delivery model
- Experience in building APIs
- Experience with event based and messaging systems
- DevOps background
And when you’re not programming?
In addition to the perks you see in the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- Flexible working hours - No punch in no punch out!
- Brand new office in a castle, one of the best development center in Montreal
- Even if we became bigger everyone has an impact on the company as a whole
- We encourage initiatives and leadership
- Tech talks - Sharing is caring :)
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon
- Birthday treats every month - 300 people in Montreal, that’s a lot of cakes!
- Fun activities with your teammates - Be part of the Lightspeed Family!
- Work with highly skilled people