Kentik has an opening for an experienced backend developer. Your initial focus would be to help architect and build our alerting product, which is primarily written in Go. We iterate code quickly within a framework that’s organized but not bogged down with process. We’re expanding fast and offer enormous opportunities for employee growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
What the job involves:
- Design and expand a custom-built, distributed event-streaming engine supporting our alerting and DDOS mitigation products.
- Design, architect, and develop new features and platform components related to network traffic visibility, routing visibility (BGP), anomaly detection/mitigation (DDoS), configuration management, and network monitoring.
- Be ultimately responsible for the availability of your services running in production.
- Work with customers, product development, and solutions engineers on a regular basis to define and support our products.
- Collaborate with the UI Team to determine and develop APIs and best methods for the frontend and backends to interact.
- Determine, prioritize, and handle your own workload (with clear vision from leadership).
- Architect and build out development team systems, structures, CI tools, and QA methods.
- Create and contribute to open-source projects.
Along the way you will learn about BGP, routers, TCP, NetFlow, Internet attacks, large scale network monitoring, and just about everything there is to know about how the bits flow on the Internet.
Skills and Experience
What we require:
- You have 5+ years of experience writing & shipping backend services in Go/Java/Python/C++ or any similar language.
- You are passionate about understanding and picking the right trade-offs between time-to-market, performance, correctness, and maintainability.
- You have strong familiarity with SQL and you design with data store scalability and reliability in mind.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Additional qualifications we’d like to see:
- Experience working on monitoring, anomaly detection, alerting systems.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems, particularly fault-tolerant data-streaming architectures.
- Experience with elements of our stack: Go, Python, Docker, Postgres/MySQL, Redis, Fastbit, Node, React
- Experience with networking, routers, BGP, NetFlow.
- BS/MS/Ph.D in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical field.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary based on experience
- For more information on working at Kentik, including our generous benefits, see our Careers page at https://www.kentik.com/careers/