We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds.
What does an Engineering Manager do at Handshake?
Handshake is building a diverse engineering organization comprised of all background, identities, and perspectives, that values creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can lead, grow, and mentor the engineers building our student-focused products.
What We’re Excited for You To Collaborate, Contribute and Work On
We're focusing on innovating Handshake’s core experience for students, employers, and universities, while constantly improving our technical foundation and user experience.
We’re excited for you to focus on:
- Leading, coaching and inspiring our Student Engineering organization.
- Motivating and ensuring the timely, quality-focused delivery of new features and projects
- Ensuring the team’s growth by ensuring the right processes are in place, communication is efficient, and hiring the right talent to fill in the gaps
- Partnering closely with key stakeholders across Handshake including - customer support, product management, and design
- Leading with empathy as you help us nurture a culture of growth, inclusion, and belonging
What we look for
- At least 2+ years of experience in engineering management, preferably working on consumer-facing products
- A background in software engineering - the ability to understand the team’s technical challenges and architecture is key to success
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent people management skills, focusing on supporting empowerment
- Product-focused mindset
- Passion for helping teams and individuals grow
- Passion for building an inclusive culture and diverse teams
Technologies we work with
- Ruby on Rails, Objective-C/Swift, Android
- React, TypeScript, Webpack, ReduKubernetes, PostgreSQL, Redis, Memcached, Elasticsearch
- Stock: Sizable ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future.
- Family Focus: Parental leave (12 weeks maternity / 4 weeks paternity), and flexibility for families.
- Time Off: Flexible vacation policy to encourage people to get out and see the world.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies.
- Goodies: Whatever hardware and software you need to get the job done.
- Team Fun: Regularly scheduled events, sports, game nights, book clubs.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities for you to grow your skills and career.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- ...And much more!