Vesseltracker.com, a Genscape Company, is a leading provider of global AIS vessel movements and maritime information services that was founded by an Information Technology specialist and Port Operations Manager with the goal of bringing higher levels of transparency and clarity into the market.
Well over a quarter of a million users from multiple sectors across the globe access vesseltracker.com services to get up-to-date vessel movements, maritime news and events and in depth information on vessel characteristics, specifications and ownership/management details and an ever growing number of customized data delivery projects, reports and analytics. Vesseltracker processes billions of messages every day from the largest and fastest growing privately owned AIS receiver network on the planet, and the most technologically advanced and only AIS dedicated satellite constellation. Vesseltracker further applies auto cleanse and auto correct algorithms making it possible for you to accurately track well over 120,000 vessels on any given day, from anywhere in the world. Our services are designed to suit the variety of challenges faced by companies, authorities and individuals who require a complete overview within the maritime sector on both a local and/or global scale.
We look for passionate technologists who love data as well as enjoy working in an autonomous environment where employees are encouraged to expand their careers, explore new ideas, and make a big impact where they work. Come see what we are all about!
Our employees are highly motivated, innovative, and passionate for providing excellent products and customer service. We look for individuals interested in growing with our company, and working in an exciting, open and collegial work environment.
We enjoy engineers who love to innovate and are remarkably passionate about software development in all layers of the stack. Exceptional software developers are as much left- as they are right-brain thinkers given the nature of design and development. Passion for software, drive toward excellence of solution and outstanding team collaboration where ideas can be bounced around for feedback are all aspects of culture we embrace.
This is a challenging role with high-responsibility tasks and a wide scope for implementing creative and innovative ideas. We are looking for someone who demonstrates a strong initiative to provide value in a highly collaborative team environment. We enjoy working with those who love technology and foster a culture where open discussions on latest/greatest development can be used in various innovative ways to solve real business problems.
What you will do and learn:
- Demonstrate knowledge and carefulness essential to develop and manage business-critical 24-hour operational systems.
- Maintain and improve our existing import process
- Develop our new backend based on Spring Boot / Java
- Create and maintain unit and end-to-end tests
- Proactively learn new methods and technologies to integrate them into the team's capabilities
- Develop and automate tools to support our sales team
These skills are a MUST:
- A profound knowledge of Java and enterprise frameworks (5 years + experience)
- SQL database experience, you are not afraid to write native SQL queries
- Prior experience using tools such as Maven.
- You are comfortable working with version control systems such as GIT
- Some knowledge of API design and RESTful principles
- You understand and enjoy the benefits of test driven development
- You are a conceptual thinker and take pride in producing high-quality work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, we’re looking for a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- An ability to manage multiple priorities effectively with minimal supervision, we don’t like to micromanage
- Self-driven. We believe in delivery, commitment to team, commitment to individual and a career plan that rewards excellence and high standards/work ethic.
It would be a huge bonus is you have the following:
- Experience with big data solutions/tools such as Hadoop or specialized search engines such as Elasticsearch
- Familiarity with unix based environments, shell scripting or small administrative tasks
- Knowledge of Dev-Ops principles and configuration management systems (eg. Chef or Ansible)
- German language skills
Once you land this position, you will get to enjoy:
- A key position in a dynamic, friendly, highly international team (US, DE, GB, PT, RO, to name just a few)
- An attractive, modern central office located on Hamburg's Alster Lake
- Support with visas, relocation and establishing yourself in Hamburg
- Excellent benefits and numerous perks including company lunch on Fridays, free fruit and drinks in the office, a well-stocked beer fridge and a ‘Fitness reimbursement’ program
- A fun, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where employees are viewed as the company’s greatest asset and critical to our success.
- Technology culture fostered and evolved by technologists and for technologists
- Opportunities for career-related development plus participation in conferences, conventions and trade fairs - our latest Tech Summit took place in Las Vegas, NV
- A company that offers a strong focus on work life balance and encouragement to make a big impact where you work. We also support working from home and flexible work hours: This goes to supporting the self-motivated team member where we want people who enjoy going ‘above-and-beyond’
Hamburg is a beautiful city in Northern Germany that provides a great range of leisure activities and a legendary nightlife. It is especially welcoming to expats and enables a great quality of life. We are looking forward to your application and will of course help with relocation, tax and legal formalities and answer any questions you may have.
About our parent company Genscape
With the world's largest network of patented and proprietary monitoring technologies, Genscape delivers unique, real-time fundamental data to provide market insight and intelligence. Genscape is part of DMG Information (“DMGI”), which comprises a portfolio of high growth, innovative, must-have information media businesses in the property, education, energy and commodity and structured finance sectors. DMGI is a division of Daily Mail and General Trust plc (“DMGT”). DMGTmanages a diverse, multinational portfolio of companies, with total revenues of almost £2bn, that provide businesses and consumers with compelling information, analysis, insight, events, news and entertainment. DMGT is also a founding investor and the largest shareholder of Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC and ZPG Plc.
For additional information about Genscape visit our careers page at www.genscape.com/careers.