Genscape’s product offerings are focused on energy data which is captured via patented sensor technology. Beyond our revolutionary sensor IP, Genscape’s offerings are all software/data-based product. The essence of all our commercial products are the result of some of the most talented software engineers in the market. We continue to expand our software suite through organic net-net development as integration of acquired products, technologies & data.
Genscape is seeking a talented Database Developer who is an expert in either PostgreSQL, SQL Server or Oracle (with a willingness to learn and support the other technologies) to join our team! This Database Developer will work on designing databases and ensuring their stability, reliability, and performance, and working with other developers in optimizing SQL queries as necessary for applications.
This team member will be responsible for maintaining the integrity and performance of company databases and guarantee that data is stored securely and optimally. This individual will work with the members of the Application Development and Development Operations Teams in planning, design, development, testing, and deployment of both logical and physical database models and structures. This individual will also work with the other members of the Technology team to establish and maintain design standards to ensure compatibility and consistency in all data environments.
We look for passionate technologists who love data as well as enjoy working in an autonomous environment where employees are encouraged to expand their careers, explore new ideas, and make a big impact where they work. Come see what we are all about!
What you will do and learn:
- Develops, designs and implements advanced SQL queries to improve operating efficiencies, reduce costs and meet the business needs.
- Manage existing data models and create/modify models to meet new functional requirements.
Work with business analysts and various groups to collect requirements and translate those into logical database models.
- Procedural database programming including PL/pgSQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL.
- Develop new and manage existing ETL jobs using standard enterprise ETL tools (SSIS is a plus)
- Provide SQL / database support to the application developers for ongoing sprint development cycles where we embrace SCRUM and supporting tools for Continuous Integration.
- Troubleshoot problems when appropriate with support of Database Admins
- Monitor and manage the production data warehousing processes.
- Identify potential performance improvements at the data technology layer as well as process improvements for overall effectiveness of the data pipeline
- Collaboratively architect, design and develop message distribution system with the core platform architect and app dev team.
- Manage the databases in development, QA and Production environments.
- Monitor database backup process.
This role might be for you if:
- You have a college degree in computer related field or equivalent experience. Some of our top engineers are from top 5 Comp-sci programs while others have deep experience in software dev after changing careers from various flavors of engineering, math, Physics, etc…
- You have demonstrated deep experience and knowledge in database design, schema development, optimization/tuning and maintenance of large scale (multiple terabyte) PostgreSQL, SQL Server and/or other large scale/tech data systems.
- You possess 5+ years of proven experience including a broad range of Database Development and Procedural SQL programming experience.
- You have experience with development of functions, procedures, triggers, Indexes, cursors, partitions and replication.
- You have data modeling tools experience and have been through the ‘data model journey’ enough to know the pro’s and con’s of the many tools out there in the community.
- An ability to succeed in a dynamic/distributed team environment and be open to overtime when necessary.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- An ability to manage multiple priorities effectively with minimal supervision – we don’t like to micromanage!
- Self-driven: As mentioned, we don’t enjoy a culture of micro-management. We do believe in SCRUM and bi-weekly sprints and that the energy to deliver comes from accountability and self-motivation.
It would be a huge bonus if you had the following experience!:
- Multiple OS & scripting knowledge.
- Master Data Management / Data Lifecycle Management
- Enterprise software development experience and globally distributed team experience
- Experience with ETL, Messaging/Pub-Sub system & tools and Java/C#.
- Understanding of MPP/Big Data concepts and/or experience.
- Demonstrated interest in and enthusiasm for learning new data management technologies
- Exposure to Cloud based PaaS and IaaS services including SQL Azure, AWS RDS, or SQL Server on cloud based VMs. We dual-home our cloud solutions so enjoy both Azure and AWS as well as some niche providers.
Once you land this position, you’ll get to enjoy:
- A fun, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where employees are viewed as the company’s greatest asset and critical to our success.
- Technology culture fostered and evolved by technologists and for technologists
- Being part of a team of extremely talented analysts, engineers, technologists, data scientists, user experience experts, QA practitioners and off-shore strategic development teams.
- A company that offers a strong focus on work life balance and encouragement to make a big impact where you work.
- We also support working from home and flexible work hours: This goes to supporting the self-motivated team member where we want folks who enjoy going ‘above-and-beyond’ as a standard because they simply ‘are that way’. The result is high throughput, consistent delivery and a happy team!
- Excellent benefits and numerous perks including conferences, F2F training, online training and digital library subscriptions.
- We offer all of the above (and more) as we know you expect the most of us as a company and managers and we expect the most of you as an exceptional contributor! Apply if you want to join as an exceptional contributor to an awesome team.