Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re five years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out-of-the-box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast-paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too - we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 200 cities.
Data Scientist, Service Optimisation
Our riders are the lifeblood of Deliveroo. As the demand for great food increases, so does the need for riders, making Service Optimisation an important function within the business.
As a Data Scientist, Service Optimisation in the Business Analytics Team, your primary mission is to build a comprehensive and robust toolkit to ensure we maintain the right number of riders on the road at all times.
- Maintain and iterate our fleet size forecast, which is mainly built in Python.
- Develop predictive models for rider churn and engagement.
- Collaborate with other analysts and manage stakeholders alongside developing technical solutions.
- Research, conceive and develop optimisation analysis to improve the efficiency of Deliveroo’s rider operations.
We are looking for engineers/data scientists who bring fresh ideas from all areas with strong technical skills. This role is ideally suited for a creative, highly motivated and career-driven individual who is excited about the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment and solve challenging problems. You'll be a key partner to other data scientists in our Business Analytics verticals - Service & Delivery, Marketing & Engagement, Selection & Pricing, Performance and Infrastructure. So that we can achieve our goals together - feed people 3 times a day. You will also maintain a similar relationship with data scientists in other teams, such as Product Analytics and Growth Analytics.
- A hunger for solving data problems, and for learning new techniques and skills whilst doing so.
- Numerical and with strong attention to detail.
- Fluency in Python, Perl, R or a similar scripting language, and in SQL.
- Able to communicate in a clear and concise manner and convey mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
- Experience using data analysis/data science libraries such as Pandas, Sci-kit Learn, NumPy and SciPy.
- Top academics with a Computer Science background and systems experience.
- Knowledge of scripting for automation (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby).
- Strong verbal and written communication, influencing and partnership skills.
- Knowledge of data management, data cleaning, machine learning, and analytics techniques.
- Working knowledge of visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Looker, Periscope).
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court.
- Flexible working, including parent-friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days. All made easy by our great use of tech - including video conferencing, Slack, and Workplace.
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave.
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside.
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources.
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking).
- Company-wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises.
- Regular team off-sites.
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders).
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups around.