Course Hero is changing education by building a global community of students, the largest digital library of study materials, and innovative machine learning technology to support both learning and teaching.
A Course Hero Senior Software Engineer provides mentorship for team members, works on key projects, and participates in the continuous improvement of our software systems. We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to ever-changing business needs.
Working here, you will demonstrate your engineering expertise and passion for applying technology to help solve real business problems as they happen. You should be comfortable working with loosely defined requirements and have a strong desire to work on a variety of business applications. Our engineers are versatile leaders who work enthusiastically to tackle new problems across the full technology stack.
You'll work closely with the product team and other engineers to solve complex technical challenges as well as craft product features that our customers love. You’ll have the opportunity to own projects and be involved in driving architectural, product and technological decisions.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- You’ll design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- You’ll identify and evaluate new technologies to improve the Course Hero platform,
- You’ll design and implement technical system changes—this is hands-on work where you’ll be coding or mentoring developers.
- You'll develop new user-facing features
- You'll ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- You'll profile and optimize our apps, ensuring high performance across devices.
- You’ll identify best practices and areas for improvement and drive those initiatives.
- You’ll design complex systems and lead the technical solution of projects.
- You’ll work closely with our product and design teams to define feature specifications.
- You’ll mentor more junior engineers.
Are you our Star Senior Software Engineer?
- You’ve earned a BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or have equivalent practical experience.
- You have 5+ years of experience architecting dynamic production solutions.
- You have a strong technical background coding web applications at scale.
- You have a good understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- You have a good understanding of ReactJS and Redux and are familiar with Angular and jQuery,
- You have proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- You have familiarity with responsive design and implementation
- You are detail-oriented, resourceful and able to manage shifting priorities.
- You have the ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment.
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You have an appreciation for statistical analysis and the power of data-driven decisions.
- You have the ability to formulate articulate opinions on product design and engineering issues with a focus in finding the most effective solution.
- You have a deep sense of product ownership.
- You have direct experience with any of the following: PHP, Symfony, Scrum, mobile application development or developing large software systems.
- You have previous work experience at a startup or consumer Internet company.
What We Offer You:
- Industry competitive salary and stock options
- Full coverage (medical, dental, vision, and life)
- 401(k) program to help you save for the future
- Educational assistance program to support lifelong learning
- Free weekly catered lunches, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Regularly planned team outings and company events
- Commuter benefits, cell-phone allowance, and a free gym membership
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a revolutionary space
- A top 250 fastest growing company according to Deloitte and Touche Technology Fast 500
Course Hero is an online learning library where you can access over 20 million course-specific study resources contributed by a community of students and educators. You’ll find practice problems, study guides, videos, class notes, and step-by-step explanations for every subject you’re studying — from economics to literature, biology to history, accounting to psychology, and everything in between. We help you quickly find what you need so you can learn deeply.
Our company culture is very open, flat, and collaborative. In addition to hiring the best talent, we believe that a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. On our team, we’re problem solvers, we think like owners, and we embrace a growth mindset in our efforts to continually better our product. We’re growing fast, we’re profitable, and we’re looking for new team members to help us plot our course towards future success!