The Growth product team is at the heart of Course Hero’s continued success. We build innovative solutions to attract and introduce new students and educators to the Course Hero platform. We employ machine learning and other techniques to understand and improve content quality. We are highly experimental and data-driven as we learn from our users’ behavior and adapt to their preferences.
Course Hero engineering teams release code multiple times per day to millions of people, so we're looking for someone who can embrace challenges, build new features, and iterate quickly. Our projects are big - many terabytes of data and millions of users around the world - but our teams are small, so you’ll see projects from start to finish, and work closely with product managers and designers to ensure successful results.
A Course Hero Senior Software Engineer is a technical leader who provides mentorship for team members, drives key architecture and projects, and participates in the continuous improvement of our software systems. We expect you to thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, and adapt to ever-changing business needs.
Working at Course Hero, you will demonstrate your engineering expertise and passion for applying technology to help solve real business problems as they happen. You should be comfortable working with loosely-defined requirements and have a strong desire to work on a variety of business applications. Our engineers are versatile leaders who work enthusiastically to tackle new problems across the full technology stack.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact:
- You’ll design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software—this is hands-on work where you’ll be coding and mentoring other developers.
- You’ll identify and evaluate new technologies to improve the Course Hero platform.
- You’ll develop new user-facing features.
- You’ll ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
- You’ll profile and optimize our apps, ensuring high performance across devices.
- You’ll enhance code that affects millions of users every week.
- You’ll implement changes to maintain and improve our revenue growth.
- You’ll apply SEO best practices to maximize organic traffic growth.
- You’ll design complex systems and lead the technical solution of projects.
- You’ll work closely with our product and design teams to define feature specifications.
- You’ll mentor and pair with other engineers.
Are you our Star Senior Software Engineer?
- You have earned a BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or have equivalent practical experience.
- You have 5+ years of experience architecting dynamic production solutions.
- You have a strong technical background coding web applications at scale.
- You have experience with the React or AngularJS frameworks.
- You are proficient with responsive design and implementation.
- You understand cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- You have experience building for a high-performance mobile web experience.
- You have a strong understanding of front-end best practices.
- You can develop rapid prototypes to solicit feedback and refine the user experience.
- You understand how to apply a modular design to your solutions.
- You are detail-oriented, resourceful and able to manage shifting priorities.
- You have an appreciation for statistical analysis and the power of data-driven decisions.
- You have the ability to formulate articulate opinions on product design and engineering issues with a focus on finding the most effective solution.
- You have a deep sense of product ownership.
- You have direct experience with any of the following: TypeScript, ES6, PHP, Symfony, Scrum, A/B Testing, or developing large software systems.
- You have experience implementing accessibility standards.
- You have a good understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS.
- You understand how to code for interactivity and animations.
- You have previous work experience at a startup or consumer Internet company.
What We Offer You:
- Industry competitive salary and stock options
- Full coverage (medical, dental, vision, and life)
- 401(k) program to help you save for the future
- Educational assistance program to support lifelong learning
- Free weekly catered lunches, plus an endless snack and drink supply
- Regularly planned team outings and company events
- Commuter benefits, cell-phone allowance, and a free gym membership
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a revolutionary space
Course Hero is a fast-growing education technology company, working to create a world where every student graduates, confident and prepared. We are changing education by building a global community of students, the largest digital library of study materials, and innovative machine learning technology to support both learning and teaching.
Our company culture is very open, flat, and collaborative. In addition to hiring the best talent, we believe that a diversity of perspectives, ideas, and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. On our team, we’re problem solvers, we think like owners, and we embrace a growth mindset in our efforts to continually better our product. We’re growing fast, we’re profitable, and we’re looking for new team members to help us plot our course towards future success!