Staff Back-end Engineer
At BetterWorks we know the world of planning, management, and execution can be complex and subjective. We provide a platform that allows our customers to set goals in a manner that provides transparency, promotes collaboration, and integrates their existing toolsets to provide a holistic view of the world. Unlike previous platforms, BetterWorks integrates with existing workplace systems and software (Jira, Salesforce, Google at Work, etc.), becoming the system of consolidation, not just the system of record. Our platform goes a step further by tying employee goals into their professional development and performance, providing high visibility and transparency to both employees and management. It’s a complex problem that needs to strong individuals to help solve in an elegant, easy to use manner.
You’re an experienced back-end or full stack engineer with strong system fundamentals. You’ve got extensive experience developing distributed, scalable systems that satisfy complex product goals. You enjoy working in a fast paced, highly collaborative environment where you’ll have the opportunity to shape the design and development of our platform architecture. You aren’t afraid of challenges and have an insatiable appetite to learn and drive change.
What You’ll Be Doing
Our platform needs to continue to solve increasingly complex problems. The relationships we model are constantly growing in complexity, and the growth of the business means the system needs to scale efficiently. As a back-end engineer your job is to define and drive the elegance in simple, efficient software and systems design, taking hard problems and finding efficient solutions for them.
- Leveraging Python (Django), Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, and other data stores to build scalable, secure software.
- Building out and iterating on the BetterWorks data model, including optimizing on the “right” data store.
- Hack on a wide range of interesting technical and business projects
- Investigating, prototyping and implementing new solutions to a wide array of complex system design challenges.
What’ll Help You Be Successful
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering
- Ability to work alongside a Product team to determine effective and time efficient solutions
- Ability to manage time efficiently and focus on clear goals
- Pragmatic approach towards tackling unforeseen challenges
- Experience with Django and Python.
- Experience with Postgres, Redis.
- Experience providing in depth code reviews
- Infinite appetite for learning
Perks At BetterWorks
- Work closely with a cross functional team of highly motivated and intelligent folks with a unique range of startup and enterprise experience
- Vibrant company culture with frequent team building events
- Frequent guest speakers from around Silicon Valley
- Mentorship opportunities
- Competitive salary with stock options
- Daily catered meals
- Benefits & 401k plan option
- Fully paid parking pass or CalTrain pass
- Unlimited in-house snacks & drinks
- Unlimited vacation
Founded in 2010, BetterWorks provides enterprise software to easily manage strategic plans, collaborative goals and ongoing performance conversations. Its Business Operating System is rooted in Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and uses Goal Science insights and operational research to help high-performing companies get aligned, and execute more effectively. The company is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with an office in New York City and space in San Francisco, and is backed by Emergence Capital (Series B), Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and 8VC. BetterWorks has an experienced team from innovative companies like Amazon, Box, Google, LinkedIn, Palantir, Salesforce and Yammer. To learn more about BetterWorks, visit www.betterworks.com.