Apex Clearing was brought to life by the idea that the development of integrative technology can improve how business is done. The passion for that idea powers our firm still. As a Data Scientist at Apex you are free to explore unique solutions and try fresh ideas that may benefit our financial services and trading businesses, and our investment companies. You’ll collaborate with some of tech’s and analytics’ sharpest minds to solve for the firm’s ever-changing but exciting challenges. Working in tech at Apex Clearing means that you’ll always be presented with a variety of new possibilities as you continue to enhance your skills.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is passionate. You have a genuine passion for technology and using it to help the customer. You love using technology differently to maximize opportunity and impact for customers and you have a way of bringing out that same fire in the people you work with
- Is motivated. You’re driven to be the best – whether that’s decreasing onboarding time or making an innovative change to “how it’s always been done.” You challenge yourself by setting goals and exceeding them
- Is collaborative. You’re excited to work with fellow techies and big thinkers. You know how to collaborate across the organization and communicate with less technical team members to find a solution to pain points
- Wants to make an impact. You’re looking to do amazing work. You’re all about using technology to improve the customer experience and affect the company’s bottom line.
What you’ll do all day:
- Defining and analyzing impactful questions that will generate insights and help support our core business and equity options trading
- Building state of the art models
- Acting as a thought leader for the firm with your ideas and projects contributing to new strategies that will impact the way the firm leverages market data.
- Helping to define best practices within our analytics team regarding prototyping and scaling solutions.
- Collaborating with and mentoring Analytics team members
A few reasons why you might love us:
- We’re a leader in the space. Apex is recognized for disrupting the financial services industry, enabling fintech standouts like Stash, Robinhood and Betterment. We’ve got an amazing track record of success and we foster ongoing innovation. So you get all the benefits of a proven, growing company, while enjoying a very entrepreneurial culture
- We see tech differently. You’ll work with people who are leaders in the tech industry. We are passionate engineers dedicated to finding new and different ways to use technology to solve our customers’ problems.
- Your work will have immediate impact. You’ll be able to see your direct impact on our tech department and with our clients. You won’t be just another talented techie chained to a desk or ticket queue.
And a few reasons why you may not like working for us:
- You don’t like change. This is not a job for someone who likes “predictable.” We’ve got our tech onboarding down to a science but sometimes the unexpected happens and sometimes we need a fresh pair of eyes to come in and show us how to make the process even better.
- You’re not the collaborative type. We work together to ensure the best possible solutions for our customers. We think two brains are better than one so we do most of our work together and often with other departments. Team work makes the dream work on this team.
- You’re not a people person. Though we commonly use Java8 on Linux, we deal with all technology – Linux and Windows; .NET and Java; SQL and noSQL (mongoDB); RabbitMQ and other open source tools and libraries. We love technology and want to work with all of it. If you're wed to a particular shop, you may not like working for us.
The skills you’ll need to succeed:
- 5+ years working as a Data Scientist, Quantitative Analyst or comparable experience
- Demonstrated track record of applying statistical techniques (e.g. machine learning, time-series analysis, regression analysis)
- Advanced knowledge of Python or R
- Experience with relational databases